- Year Founded:2008
- Key Founding Individuals: Base Resources is a public company and is listed on the UK's Alternative Investment Market (ASX & AIM: BSE) as well as the Australian Securities Exchange.
- Key People: Tim Carstens, Managing Director; Kevin Balloch, Chief Financial Officer; Colin Bwye, Executive Director of Operations and Development.
- Mined Resources: Ilmenite, rutile, and zircon.
- Operational Regions: Throughout Africa with a particular focus on Kenya and Madagascar.
Base Resources is a mining and metals company located in West Perth, Western Australia. With a strong focus on developments in Africa, Base Resources established and currently operates the Kwale Project in Kenya and is responsible for developing the Madagascan Toilara Sands Project. The company is also involved with resources, safety, environmental, and community projects. Base Resources has an annual revenue of around USD 198 million. .
Base Resources was established in 2008 and has since developed an excellent international reputation for outstanding operational performance and exceptional project delivery. In 2010, Base Resources acquired ownership of the Kwale Mineral Sands Operations in Kenya. After the completion of a feasibility study, Kwale began being developed in 2011, and production started in late 2013. The project is based on the premise that the mine would have a lifespan of around 13 years. It has a high grade of ore and a high mineral value. Mining operations at Kwale are expected to produce as much as an annual average of 360,000 tons of ilmenite, 30,000 tons of zircon, and around 80,000 tons of rutile. This will firmly establish Base Resources as a significant international mineral-sands producer. In mid-2018, Base Resources launched a drill program at the Ranobe deposit of the Toliara Mineral Sands Project in Madagascar. The project is well underway, and the start of production is anticipated for late 2021.
Company Mission and Vision
The mission and vision of Base Resources is to use quality assets to provide a solid platform for the team to grow and develop a successful mid-tier resources company.
Staff and Employees
Base Resources employs between 1,000 and 5,000 individuals in Australia, Kenya, and Madagascar. With a strong focus on employee safety, Base Resources has a Total Recordable Injury Frequency Rate of zero.
Directors and Management
The Base Resources board and management consist of:
• Keith Spence – Non-Executive Chairman
• Tim Carstens – Managing Director
• Colin Bwye – Executive Director of Operations and Development
• Kevin Balloch – Chief Financial Officer
• Stephen Hay – General Manager of Marketing
• Denham Vickers – General Manager of Operations
• Colin Forbes – General Manager of Environment and Community Affairs
• Andre Greyling – General Manager of Project Management
During 2018 alone, Base Resources invested over USD 4.5 million in a range of programs geared to make a positive impact on the environment or to generally improve the community. In Kenya, the company planted more than 20,000 trees and employed over 100 interns, apprentices, and graduates. In recognition of its social efforts in developing the Kwale Cotton Project, Base Resources was granted the New Vision for Development Award.